Forget blah breakfast, because this is anything but boring. Plain eggs don’t do much for me anymore. I love having some type of vegetables and/or cheese accompany my eggs, so 2 to 3 days per week, I get vegetables at all 3 meals. It’s so much more affordable to make your own omelettes or breakfast dishes at home. Yes, you have dishes to clean, but you save money and you get to say in your pajamas while eating! This recipe may not be appropriate to fix on your way out the door to work, but it is pretty quick.
Keep in mind, though, eggs in no way are only meant for breakfast, They can be eaten at any meal of the day because they are a good source of protein. This dish could be a light lunch or dinner. Eggs have gotten a bad reputation because one yolk contains your daily need for dietary Cholesterol, however there isn’t much of a correlation between intake of dietary Cholesterol and blood Cholesterol levels. It’s more directly related to your overall dietary quality and how much total fat and excess you consume.
I fry my egg over-easy because I love the yolk to run all over the plate and add warmth and flavor. You could scramble the egg or use egg beaters/egg whites, but the flavor won’t be as strong. Baby kale could be used in the place of spinach. I used Cotija cheese, a Mexican cheese, that is crumbly and mild, somewhat like Parmesan. It is now available in most larger supermarkets, but you could substitute any crumbled cheese like Queso Fresco or Feta (flavor will be stronger), or just use grated Parmesan. I was going for a more Mexican/Southwestern feel, but it can be changed to be more Mediterranean with feta & black olives. For a little more info on Cotija cheese, use this link.
- 1 egg
- 1 c spinach (baby)
- 1 small cocktail tomato or 2 halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. cotija cheese or other crumbled cheese
- 2 tsp. olive oil or oil spray for the pan
- 1/2 whole wheat english muffin or bagel thin
- hot sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry egg.
- Toast english muffin or bagel thin in the toaster.
- On top of toasted english muffin or bagel thin, place spinach, then hot fried egg. Fried egg should wilt spinach.
- Top with cotija cheese, tomato slices, salt and pepper, and hot sauce as preferred.